Preparing for Pet Surgery
Whether it's a routine surgical procedure or complex surgery, we know that any surgery for your pet can make you nervous. Preparing yourself for your pet’s surgery can help keep you calm. At Citrus Heights Pet Hospital in Citrus Heights, CA, we understand the love you have for your pet, and we are dedicated to giving the best veterinary care to your pet. When it comes to surgery, we can help you better understand the procedure to make it easier for you and your pet.
What You Need to Know
Whether minor or complex, every surgery has some set of preparations that pet owners need to know. It is important to educate yourself on the following things:
- Understand the procedure: To calm your nerves, understanding the surgical procedure is vital. Understand how the procedure is done, the risks involved, and the post-surgery recovery.
- Ensure your pet is up to date with vaccinations: For the safety of your pet, we recommend that your pet is fully vaccinated by the time of surgery to avoid contracting or spreading any infectious diseases.
- Ensure your pet is clean: Bathe your pet before the surgery, because after surgery, your pet may not be able to have a bath for at least ten days.
- Be ready for anesthesia: Our anesthetics for pets are all very safe. However, it is crucial for us to perform some tests before the surgery. Any surgery is risky, and most risks are due to underlying conditions. Therefore, we recommended that a blood test is done to check all the major organs and abnormalities of blood cells in your pet. In case the results reveal underlying issues, our vets may suggest waiting on surgery.
- Recovery: Our team of professionals will advise you on how to care for your pet post-surgery. Your pet will likely need a lot of rest. We may give you bandages to change on your pet after surgery, and give you pain medications to administer to your pet.
Avoid feeding your pet within 12 hours of the surgery. While water isn't prohibited, limit water intake if possible.
Visit Our Veterinary Office
Talking with our veterinarian team before any pet surgeries is important. At Citrus Heights Pet Hospital in Citrus Heights, CA, we can tell you everything you need to know before surgery. Whether it's a routine surgery or complex surgery, your furry friend is in safe hands. Call us today to schedule an appointment.